Friday, April 6, 2012

Baking Soda Bestie


There is a wonderful woman on the web named Jillee who posts One Good Thing every day. And let me tell you - she is a genius. She has so many wonderful ideas that I have implemented all over my house. A while back she posted about microdermabrasion in a box - the cheapest and easiest microderm treatment I've ever tried (and believe me, since turning 30, I've tried a lot). Her recipe and instructions:
2 Tbsp Baking soda
Distilled Water. 
Start with a clean face (very important, as you don’t want to rub any dirt back into your skin). Make a slightly soupy paste with the baking soda and distilled water. Working in small circles, rub the entirety of your face very lightly. Do this for five minutes. Do, of course, avoid the eye area. Rinse very well.
When I tried this myself, I was much less exact. I didn't measure the baking soda and I didn't bother to bring distilled water into the bathroom. I simply sprinkled a bit of baking soda into a small tupperware container and then added bathroom tap water and mixed by hand until I had a good consistency. Of course, I didn't really know what a good consistency was so I simply felt for what I thought felt like the sand paper like substance the aestheticians use. It doesn't have to be exact to work. With baking soda being so cheap you can afford to have a few misses on the mixture - I sure did. 

I had a great experience with baking soda microdermabrasion. I figured there had to be more to do besides deodorize my fridgeand remove the dead skin from my face. I started scowering the internet for other uses for this tiny box of beauty tricks. Let me tell you - baking soda is my new bestie. Keep reading after the jump for some more wonderful uses for this tiny box of magic.  


* Clean hair. Cleaner than your shampoo. Add a sprinkle of baking soda to your shampoo (if in the bottle you can add about 1tsp. In your hand, a small shake will do). This will help remove the chemical build up hair products leave behind. 

* Teeth whitener. Mix a small amount of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide to form a paste (same consistency as your normal toothpaste but will be a little grittier) and brush as normal with your toothbrush. Do this 1-2 times per week until the desired color is achieved and then maintain once a month. OR use a pinch of baking soda with a bit of table salt. Be sure to rinse thoroughly after brushing.

* Breath freshener. Gargle with a mix of water and baking soda. Be sure to rinse after gargling. 

* Deodorant. Sprinkle a bit under arms after you get out of the shower to maintain freshness all day. (I usually do this on top of my regular deodorant. Not sure if that's right or not but I'm too scared to use baking soda only.)

* Add ~1/2 cup to your bath water. This will help remove dirt and oil from your skin and unclog your pores. It will also leave your skin feeling silky smooth.

* Sunburn relief. Mix baking soda with cold water to form a paste - make enough to cover the entire burnt area. Gently apply to skin and let rest at least until dry and firm (you can leave on for a few minutes or a few hours). Rinse gently with cold water. 

* Nail care. Wet a nail brush (or old soft toothbrush) and dip into baking soda. Scrub nails and cuticles gently but firmly. This will remove stains and keep cuticles soft. 

* Chlorine remover. After getting out of the pool, rinse your hair with 1/2 tsp of baking soda in 1 pint of warm water. Allow mixture to sit on hair for a few minutes. This will remove the dullness and discoloration caused by chlorinated pool water.

* Dry shampoo. Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda to oily areas in dry hair. Comb through the hair and fluff with a blow dryer.

* Clean your brushes and combs. Add ~ 3 Tbsp baking soda to a sink of water water. Soak brushes and combs for a few minutes. Swish, rinse and allow to air dry. This soakign will remove hair product build up from your tools. (This also works on toothbrushes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment